The American Homebrewers Association® (AHA) announces the 25th Learn to Homebrew Day. The date is set for November 4, 2023. It is a nationwide celebration that aims to demystify the art of homebrewing and provide valuable resources. To help beginners get started, the AHA offers a host of resources, which we share below.
For seasoned brewers and curious beginners alike, Learn to Homebrew Day offers an opportunity to learn, connect with fellow beer enthusiasts, and celebrate the hobby of brewing at home. For this year’s Learn to Homebrew Day, the AHA has selected two official SMaSH beer recipes (recipes utilizing a Single Malt and a Single Hop). Choose from a delicious SMaSH Sensory Blonde Ale or create a unique brew with Your First SMaSH Ale.
Participating in Learn to Homebrew Day is easy—visit the AHA website to select a homebrew recipe and discover resources for homebrewers of all levels. With a focus on education, camaraderie, and creativity, this event has been a tradition for homebrewers since 1999.
“Learn to Homebrew Day is all about fostering a sense of community and sharing the passion for homebrewing. It’s a day when experienced brewers can mentor newcomers and help them take their first steps into this exciting hobby,” said Julia Herz, executive director, the American Homebrewers Association. “The SMaSH recipes we’ve chosen for 2023 are both a fantastic starting point for anyone looking to explore the world of homebrewing or those looking to sharpen their skills.”
For first-time homebrewers, the AHA has a checklist of recommended equipment and other essentials—many of which you’ll find in the average kitchen. Learn to Homebrew Day participants are encouraged to enhance existing skills and learn new techniques, locate a nearby homebrew club, and source ingredients at a local homebrew supply shop. Furthermore, the AHA offers an abundance of resources including:
- AHA Membership, purchase an annual membership and select a free brewing book from 60+ titles to match your brewing goals.
- Homebrewing Video Tutorials, watch easy-to-follow videos covering brewing basics with Julia Herz.
- Trusted Recipes, brew the official 2023 SMaSH beers, or browse tried-and-true mead, cider, clone, food fermentation, and homebrew recipes.
- Homebrew Club Locator, connect with homebrewers and find events in your area.
- Homebrew Supply Shop Directory, find ingredients and equipment at a local or online shop.
- AHA Forum, ask questions and engage with brewing peers on a variety of topics.