As I talk to people around Washington about beer, it surprises me how many local beer lovers are unaware of the Washington Beer App. When the Washington Beer Commission introduced the Washington Beer App some time ago, it was not without its bugs, but the new version of the app works quite flawlessly.
Why does Washington beer need an app? Well, because there are over 400 breweries in the state, the Commission hosts official Washington beer festivals just about every month, and because you need easy access to information about Washington beer. The free Washington Beer App is available from whatever App Store you use. Just search for “Washington Beer.”
The Washington Beer App is especially valuable for WABL members. If you’re a WABL member (why wouldn’t you be?), the app serves as your digital passport and allows you easily earn rewards for doing something that you already do: visit breweries and drink Washington beer. You get points for each brewery you visit. There is even a leader board so you can see how you stack up against other WABLs.
In case you’re unaware, WABL (Washington Beer Lovers) is basically like the Washington beer fan club. There is a fee to join, but the cost is outweighed by the benefits. Seriously, the first two things on the list below are easily worth the $30 fee.
- A WABL t-shirt that lists all of the breweries in your region
- Special benefits at Washington Beer Commission festivals which may include a special WABL beer that is served only to members, extra tasting tokens, a special WABL glass, or WABL-only member lounges
- Access to the Washington Beer Mobile App, which is now the preferred way to collect WABL passport stamps. Start collecting digitally and never miss a stamp. (Note – the app is available to all, but only WABLs can access the Passport feature and earn rewards.)
- Great prizes for collecting 20 stamps and 50 stamps in your mobile passport. This year you will receive a WABL hat for 20 stamps. Collect 50 stamps and your next year’s membership is free.
- A monthly newsletter with event information, WA beer news, upcoming beer releases, and WABL discounts
- A Free annual subscription to Sip Northwest Magazine
Visit 20 breweries (some of you do that in a weekend), check in at each brewery using the App, and get a hat. Before long, they’ll come up with a new reward. Keep on collecting, keep on earning free stuff for something you already do.