Salish Sea Brewing in Edmonds, Washington is looking to hire a full-time brewer as well as a part-time assistant brewer. The company operates two locations: a pub in downtown Edmonds and a brewery and taproom near the town’s waterfront. The seven-barrel brewing system feeds these locations, as well as accounts across Snohomish and King Counties.
Here is the job listing as it appeared on Pro Brewer.
Seeking Full Time Brewer and Part Time Brewing Assistant @ Salish Sea Brewing Company
Please include a PDF version of your resume and cover letter. Please include current email for direct response.
We are looking for a Brewer to add to our new brewhouse and growing Salish Sea brewing team. You will help to implement all facets of beer production and cellar management, and will assist with organization for taproom service and wholesale distribution. This will be a full-time, salaried position. Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This is an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated, hard-worker who is looking to progress and grow in their career by joining our ever-expanding Salish Sea crew.
Salish Sea currently operates a newer 7BBL – Boil kettle, Hot Liquor Tank and Mash Tun Combined System , with control panel with 7-15 bbl fermentation capacity. The new warehouse brewery and taproom is located at the waterfront in downtown Edmonds and includes our renovated Boathouse taproom and beer garden. The brewery also supports our flagship brewpub in downtown Edmonds as well as provides quality craft beer for restaurants and bars in Snohomish and King Counties.
- Help to carry out the day-to-day operations of the brewhouse, cellar and packaging areas.
- Producing wort according to Salish Sea Brewing Co SOPs
- Complete all necessary paperwork accurately and on time. (Brewing log record keeping, Fermentation/cellar record keeping, inventory, etc.)
- Cellar work including Cleaning of brewery vessels, yeast management, keg cleaning, filtration, racking, carbonation & fermenter additions.
- Kegging, bottling, maintaining tap room inventory for both locations, delivery & cleaning of kegs.
- Wort and beer transfers
- Assisting with fermentation management, including collecting brewing/fermentation data, racking, fining, dry-hopping, harvesting yeast, and carbonating beer
- Assisting with raw material inventory management and receiving
- Assisting in quality assurance and quality control
- Assisting with organizing cold storage, maintaining finished product inventories and assisting with wholesale pickup & deliveries
- Assisting with cleaning, spent grain management, sanitation, maintenance of brewery equipment, and basic facilities maintenance
- Operating forklift as required
- Assist in Events and Marketing functions for brewery
Pay: Salary Base $50-60K / $25-35 Hourly DOE
Knowledge, Skills & Qualifications:
- A high degree of passion for the history and culture of beer, and for maintaining consistency and quality in brewing a variety of beers from classic styles to innovative one-offs
- Thorough understanding of all aspects of beer production, including grain handling, yeast management, fermentation management, packaging, and QA/QC
- A degree from a professional brewing education program or previous experience working in commercial brewery or industrial setting.
- 2+ years of wort production and cellar experience with an understanding of the physical requirements of this type of position desired
- Demonstrated track record of success in prior positions
- Strong problem-solving abilities
- Excellent communication, time management, troubleshooting, and organizational skills
- Extreme attention to detail
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures and other documentation to produce consistent, high quality product (flagship and seasonal recipes)
- Work independently; a self-starter–strong work ethic, comfortable working alone as necessary. Early morning brewing, most afternoons and evenings free.
- Think critically and react swiftly and appropriately to changing conditions-problem solve
- Work safely with chemicals and other workplace hazard according to safety protocols
- Work well in a team and encourage positive morale
- Lift 55lb bags
- Maintain a clean, professional representation of the brewery operation
- Assist with front of the house, beer delivery and promote brewery at local brewery events.
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Production brewery experience (FT brewer)
- Mechanical background–ability to make small repairs to equipment
- Outside Sales support & Delivery/promotions of beer with local restaurants/bars
Must Be Able To:
- Operate a forklift and complex mechanical equipment.
- Multitask effectively.
- Regularly lift up to 55lbs and maneuver 165lbs and more.
- Comfortably work at heights, in cramped spaces and awkward positions, and in hot and cold environments for extended periods of time.
- Handle hazardous materials appropriately.
- Work mornings, evenings, and weekends, as required.